The electoral reform referendum is coming up. This is a very important vote to determine whether or not our provincial voting system should be changed, and which voting system it should be changed to. As residents of British Columbia, it’s extremely important that you participate and make an informed decision about the future of our province. We’ve compiled some facts and resources below where you can get started. Click on each voting system to learn more!
– The Referendum will take place between October 22 and November 30, 2018.
– You must be 18+ as of November 30, a Canadian citizen, and have lived in B.C. for at least six months to vote in this referendum.
– There are two questions on the Referendum:
1) Which system should British Columbia use for provincial elections? Select one:
- First Past the Post
- Proportional Representation System
2) If British Columbia adopts a proportional representation voting system, which of the following do you prefer? Rank in order of preference:
– Your ballot will be mailed out between October 22 and November 5, 2018. If you do not receive it in the mail, you can request one
– Your ballot must be received by Elections BC by 4:30 pm on Friday, November 30, 2018.
Elections BC Website: https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/
Referendum Voter’s Guide (available in other languages – check Elections BC site): https://elections.bc.ca/docs/referendum/2018-Referendum-on-Electoral-Reform-Voters-Guide.pdf
Voting Package Delivery Schedule: https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/about-the-referendum/voting-package-provincial-delivery/
Voting Systems General Info: https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/voting-systems/voting-systems/
Referendum FAQ: https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/about-the-referendum/referendum-faqs/
Should you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to call our office! As a non-partisan office, we are happy to offer information about the referendum, but we will not be able to make recommendations.